Friday, July 5, 2013

The First Boy to Steal My Heart - May He Rest In Peace

    


     3 days after my last blog post, I was at work when my phone lit up.  The lights were out in my room, because after P.E., my firsties come in and put their heads on their desks to take a little break before picking back up.  My sister's face was glowing in the dark.  I answered it because I know that she knows only to call when there is an emergency.  My heart skipped a beat for a minute.  When I answered, the first thing she said was, "Have you heard from anyone yet?"  Immediately, every family member's name popped in my head.  Who could she be calling about? 
     She told me that there had been an explosion at one of the local refineries.  Both of my younger brothers, Josh and Dustin, work at Exxon Mobil and my heart sank.  She said that Dustin was involved in a flash fire.  I wasn't exactly sure what that meant at the time, but I knew that it was pretty bad for them to be bringing him to John Sealy Hospital in Galveston because their burn unit is the best in the country.
     I immediately ran to the office to tell my boss that I had to leave.  I grabbed Katie and we were out the door.  I talked to my step mother a few times on the way home.  She had been with my sister, Crystal, at the creek.  Crystal's water broke and she wasn't due for another 1-2 months.  They were on the way to the hospital when they received the call from Josh.  My stepmom started panicking.  Crystal ended up having to drive herself. 
     Brenna and I met up and flew to Galveston. That's one of the longest trips when you want to be somewhere at the snap of a finger.  When we made it, my other brothers and sisters were in the waiting area.  We all hugged and disgussed what had happened.  During the explosion, Josh had been a few hundred yards away.  He knew that Dustin was in that area and he took off running to find him.  When he did, Dustin was on his hands and knees.  Josh craddled him until the ambulance arrived.  They took him to St. Elizabeth Hospital in Beaumont first, where they stabelized him.  They wanted to life flight him to Galveston, but it was extremely foggy that day and the wind was pretty strong.  So, they had to transport him and the other 3 boys by ambulance. 
     My daddy works offshore and was offshore when everything was taking place.  He couldn't get back to the mainland because of the fog and wind.  They eventually found a break in it and flew him back, but he had to drive himself from Louisiana all the way to Galveston.  He didn't get to the hospital until around 7ish. 
I was waiting outside for him when he arrived.  The first thing he said was, "Where's my boy?"  We brought him upstairs where he spent the entire night by Dustin's side. 
     Shortly after Brenna and I arrived, we went in to see him.  It was a sight that I'll never forget, even though I desperately want to.  Dustin was burnt from head to ankle.  He was unrecognizable.  His entire body was wrapped with gauze.  His face was exposed, but it didn't look like him.  His arms were extended up and were hanging from some type of device.  When we first walked in, the first thing that popped in my mind was, "This is the wrong room."  He was so swollen and it didn't look like him.  I immediately broke down, but then had to pull myself together to be able to talk to him.  I wanted him to know that I was there.  I told him that I loved him and that we were there.  He moved his right fingers up and down.  I'm not sure if that was to let us know that he could hear us, or what.  But it gave me hope. 
     The next 10 days were hard.  I spent both weekends up there to be with my family.  People were pouring their love, prayers, and blessings on us by donating money, food, gift cards, etc.  The outreach gave us hope that Dustin would make it through this.  Never once did I have any doubt that he wouldn't make it through. 
     On Friday, April 26th, I stayed with my step mom and dad until almost 3AM.  Dustin's blood pressure was extremely low and his kidneys were failing.  They wanted to start dialysis, but needed his blood pressure to come up.  They were giving him blood left and right.  Once they got him stable that morning, I left and went back to the hotel.  I slept from 4 - 7.  At 7, my oldest brother, Kris, woke me up and said that they needed us back at the hospital.  We went back up there and they brought Dustin in for surgery.  When he came out, at around 10:00, the doctor's said they were able to do what they needed to do.  We were all high-fiving and giving hugs.  We were so happy.  My stepmom told us to go back to the hotel to shower and get some rest.  We listened.  Oh how I wish we hadn't.  I had taken a shower and laid down for a nap.  At around 11:30, my oldest sister, Summer, woke me up by banging on the door.  I jumped up and she said to hurry and get dressed, they needed us back up there.  I knew something was horribly wrong.  It took almost an hour for me to get dressed and get down Seawall Blvd. to the hospital.  Traffic was horrible.  It was a Saturday on Galveston Island, and everyone was there playing on the beach and at the Pier.  When I finally made it, I stepped off the elevator, and turned the corner to see the doors open to the waiting room where my family was.  It all went in slow motion.  I saw people crying and hugging, and then I saw Brenna walking toward me and she was shaking her head.  I fell to the ground screaming.  My little brother had lost his fight.  I couldn't breathe.  This very sweet lady brought me a rag and pretty much held me and prayed for me until I could calm down.  We were all so devestated. 
    On Saturday, April 27th, my little brother left us to be with the Lord.  I still can't wrap my mind around it.  I'm okay most days, but then I'll remember that he's no longer here and my heart skips a beat and I forget to breathe.  I still can't believe it. 
     Dustin Lee Creekmore - born July 6, 1988 to Terry and Deborah Creekmore.  Youngest brother to Angie, Kris, Summer, Terra, Brenna, Crystal, and Josh.  Boyfriend to Clairissa who is expecting their son, Johnse, any day now; and wonderful father figure to Lakynn (3).  Had aspirations to become a pro MMA fighter.  Was an amateaur MMA fighter that was making a name for himself.  Loved by so many and touched so many hearts. 

Gone, but never forgotten.  We will hold our memories of you forever in our hearts.  Until we meet again little brother.  I love you with all of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment